Mango & Cashew Salad
The original creator of this salad was Neil Perry for the SMH’s Good Weekend magazine. It’s so tangy and delicious that I make it all the time, but I generally never follow recipes to the letter so it always changes a bit depending on what I have. Neil’s original recipe for example was with macadamias but my boys prefer cashews so I make mine with cashews and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top (tasty and a great way to boost calcium). It’s all about the dressing in the end though. Of course you don’t have to, but the secret is in adding a bit of sugar as it makes all the difference.
- Dry roast a handful of raw cashews with a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Add a little pink salt and leave to cool.
- Toss together all your favourite colourful salady things, such as rocket, baby spinach, endive, chopped cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red capsicum, finely sliced red cabbage, chives or shallots and fresh coriander.
- Add the dressing and toss through.
- Add a fresh, ripe mango or two and maybe some sliced avocado.
- Sprinkle cooled cashews and sesame seeds over the top.
Crush a small clove of garlic and add to approx 1/4 a cup of pure olive oil mixed with the juice of two limes or one juicy lemon, a tiny bit of sambal olek (chili paste, optional), two heaped teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon or two of either balsamic or apple cider vinegar. Blend well until the sugar has dissolved.